The bells at St Peterâ€™s are ringing out once more thanks to the community, Wilts & Gloucestershire Standard
Press Coverage - 06/01/2016
The bells are ringing out again at a Rodmarton church thanks to the fundraising efforts of the local community.
Bells at St Peter's - two dating from 1626 when Charles I had just ascended the throne and a third from 1716 have been silent for about six years as many of their parts were worn out and in danger of collapsing.
But thanks to restoration project by the Parochial Church Council and funded by the people that live near the church, the bells are now chiming majestically once more.
Parochial Church Council (PCC) spokesman Simon Biddulph said: "It is wonderful to hear the bells again after a lengthy period of silence. We will ring them before each service and this will be a reminder to all and sundry, whether they go to church or not of the magnificence of a peal of church bells."
The work on restoring the bells was carried out by Whites of Appleton, near Abingdon, and included replacing the original clappers, bearings, headstocks, supporting ironwork and providing new ropes.
Gloucestershire Environmental Trust donated Â£6000 towards the restoration project which reached its target of Â£20,229.
The rest of the cash was raised via grants from Gloucestershire Historic Churches Trust, The Church Building Council, and private donations.
Mr Biddulph added: "We were absolutely thrilled to receive a grant of Â£6,000 from the Gloucestershire Environmental Trust towards the restoration of the bells. The work started in September 2015 and ended in November. "It is wonderful to hear the bells again after a lengthy period of silence. We will ring them before each service and this will be a reminder to all and sundry, whether they go to church or not of the magnificence of a peal of church bells."
The Norman church is set back from Rodmarton village green and the first priest was recorded in 1086.
It is thought that there could have been an earlier Saxon or heathen temple on the site.
Source: Wilts & Gloucestershire Standard