Replacement of damaged lintels and pillars and the refurbishment of the former market area
Posted: 9th September 2010
Winchcombe Town Hall, 2 North Street, Winchcombe, Gloucestershire, GL54 5JL
Since the time it was built in 1853, the Town Hall has been geographically and socially at the heart of Winchcombe's rural life and is strategically set at the junction of the town's two main streets.
Many of its uses have included the petty sessions courtroom, the town's first cinema, a lecture and entertainment venue with much more besides. The undercover section at the front was formerly the market area and was under used and poorly lit.
It is a key community grade II listed facility and has pillars built from a soft Cotswold limestone which support the wing of the town hall. Water running down the bay window above has channelled its way into the lintels and pillars causing considerable damage with the stone literally crumbling away.
With a grant of £12,000 from The Gloucestershire Environmental Trust, the damaged lintels and pillars will be replaced and refurbishing the former market area will improve the structure of the hall and encourage more use by the local communities.