Posted: 20th December 2010
St Mary's Church, Flaxley, Gloucestershire, GL14 1JR
Even by the standards of rural Gloucestershire, St Mary's in Flaxley is a very isolated church. Situated next to Flaxley Abbey, there is no local settlement to support it.
The Church was built in 1856 and is Grade II listed. It is a handsome building, complete with a shingled spire. However major re-roofing work had become necessary. The parish had a major challenge on their hands to raise the partnership funding to secure an English Heritage grant.
The Church plays an important part in the life of the local community and The Gloucestershire Environmental Trust granted £8,000 towards bridging the funding gap.