Replacement of six missing opening gates, street furniture and planting of a garden and a hedge adjacent to the gateway
Posted: 13th October 2014
Pittville Gates, Adjacent to 1 Pittville Lawn, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL52 2BE
Pittville Gates are situated at the end of Winchcombe Street, Cheltenham, leading to Pittville Lawn, a residential street which leads to Pittville Park. The Gates were built in 1833 as the grand entrance to Pittville Estate, developed in the 1820s by Joseph Pitt. The Gates are listed Grade 2 by English Heritage.
The first phase of the restoration of Pittville Gates in Cheltenham is complete. The six Forest of Dean stone pillars have been rebuilt using new stone blocks and the surviving ironwork (the central screen, the overthrow and gate posts) has been repaired, renovated, and put back in place. The area in front of the gateway has been repaved, with a design picked out in granite setts, and bollards put in place to prevent vehicle access.
The second phase will include the replacement of the six missing opening gates, street furniture and planting of a garden and a hedge adjacent to the gateway.
The new pillars, restored ironwork and paving are looking magnificent.