External works including upgrading of the roof, external fabric and electrical infrastructure and refurbishment of the sash windows, flooring and benches.
Posted: 13th October 2014
Painswick Quaker Meeting House, Vicarage Street, Painswick, Gloucestershire, GL6 6XS
Quakers first came to Painswick in 1658, worshipping across the valley. Painswick Quaker Meeting House is a prime example of a grade II listed building that dates from 1706. The House overlooks the Painswick Valley and its peaceful garden is enjoyed by local people and visitors to the historic Vicarage Street.
The House has some excellent features including an early 18th century exterior, a ministers' gallery, wood panelling and 19th century open backed, 'deal' benches.
Currently used by the community as a low-cost venue for musical recording, teaching and therapeutic purposes, it has been praised for the quality of its natural light, acoustics and spiritual richness. Quinquennial building works including; upgrading the roof, external fabric and electrical infrastructure and refurbishment of the sash windows, flooring and benches, will enable the existing use of the Meeting House to continue providing a warm and welcome environment.
A grant of £13,000 by the Gloucestershire Environmental Trust has contributed to the improvements of Painswick Quaker Meeting House which have enhanced the facility that is available to the wider community.