Building works to reduce the carbon footprint of the building and improve its sustainability
Posted: 15th May 2012
Nailsworth Quaker Meeting House, Chestnut Hill, Nailsworth, Gloucestershire, GL6 0RA
Nailsworth Quaker Meeting House dates from 1610/12 and has been in continuous use as a place of worship since 1680.
It is Grade II listed and provides a facility for the local community who use the rooms for meetings, classes and other activities at a low cost.
The exterior of the building retains the 17th century features from the time it was converted from farm buildings into a Meeting House. The interior has been modified over the years to improve usability and comfort but has many 17th and 18th century features. The Quaker Meeting House wished to reduce its carbon footprint and improve its sustainability.
The Severn Wye Energy Agency helped produce a Sustainable Energy Audit.
The resulting project was supported by a grant from The Gloucestershire Environmental Trust which funded increased roof insulation, secondary double glazing, the replacement of poor energy efficient doors and the replacement of inefficient night storage heaters with heaters that reflect the use patterns of the building and reduced electricity consumption.
The work was completed in March 2011.