Repair and reconfiguration of Grade II listed building following flood damage
Posted: 13th October 2014
Mariner's Hall, The Docks, Gloucester, GL1 2EN
Located in the historic area of Gloucester Docks, the grade II listed Mariner's Hall, owned by Mariner's Gloucester, has undergone major improvements to restore it to a social hub for Gloucester's local community.
The Hall was originally bequeathed to the Church in 1884 as a Mission Hall and was frequently used by visiting and local seamen and boatmen as a meeting hall where lessons in reading and writing were taught, whilst providing a place to rest.
As a result of dwindling attendance at the Church, Mariner's Hall was leased out 30 years ago and was then used as a night shelter for the homeless. The Hall now conducts ministries of the Church providing lunches for the homeless, support for mum and toddler groups, various training courses and a range of events for the local community.
However building a new social community is difficult and time consuming. With the work being done by staff of the Mariner's Church to provide a community focus and facilities to support all ages, Gloucestershire Environmental Trust saw real benefits for the area and approved a substantial grant of £50,000 for works that included the removal of partitions, installation of new kitchen and bathrooms, a new heating system, new doors and windows, new electrics and furnishings. With an increase in the Church congregation, it is hoped that the Hall will become a focal point once more as it has a pivotal role to play in helping the community of Gloucester.