Renovations of village hall
Posted: 20th December 2010
Kingscote Village Hall, Kingscote, Tetbury, GL8 8YG
Villagers in Kingscote near Tetbury realised a long-held dream over the past twelve months when they raised £75,000 to renovate their dilapidated village hall.
A survey had shown that the building, dating from around 1780, was in need of a new Cotswold stone roof, major external work, the replacement of all the windows, the installation of a heating system and new toilet facilities.
The money needed seemed prohibitive to a community of just 250 people but they raised over £16,000 themselves, were given £4,000 by the parish council and then were delighted to be given a grant for £25,000 by The Gloucestershire Environmental Trust.
Money from Cotswold District Council and the Veolia Environmental Trust means that most of the work has now been done and all that remains is the toilet refurbishment. The village held a special celebration day to thank all those involved and the chairman of Cotswold District Council, Cllr Carolyn Nicolle, unveiled a special plaque to the donors.