Skip navigation
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

T: 01452 385435   E: info@ge-trust.org.uk

Providing grants from funds generated by the
Landfill Communities Fund for the benefit of Gloucestershire

Projects > Charlton Kings Common

Dry stone walling project

Posted: 20th December 2010

Funding: £10,000
Scheme Type: Normal Grants
Project Type: Community Open Spaces
Area:

Charlton Kings Common, Charlton Kings, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL53 8AW

Most commons in Gloucestershire were once bounded by dry stone walls. Charlton Kings Common and Leckhampton Hill are no exception, but their walls had largely collapsed and disappeared over the last 200 years. As a result, only short sections of the walls were still visible. Through Natural England, a conservation grant was available for 80% of the cost of repair. This grant would only be provided if the remaining 20% of the total cost was funded locally.

The Gloucestershire Environmental Trust provided £10,000 towards the cost of the project, releasing a further £40,000 of European funding.

The funding has enabled 1.3km of the historic boundary wall to be restored, along the South side of Charlton Kings Common, adjacent to the Cotswold Way National Trail.

Website: www.leckhamptonhill.org.uk