New toilet block, including disabled facility
Posted: 9th October 2010
Bathurst Pool, High Street, Lydney, Gloucestershire, GL15 5DY
A popular swimming pool has been given a new lease of life by trustees that have taken over its care.
The latest addition to Bathurst Pool, with the help of The Gloucestershire Environmental Trust, is a new built toilet block, which has a disabled facility fitted with all the modern requirements.
Bathurst Pool was originally donated to the residents of Lydney and Aylburton by Lord Bledisloe in 1920, but after being operated by a number of councils, it was closed in 1999 by Lydney Town Council.
Following public outcry, the Friends of Bathurst Pool Charity was formed and they took over the running of the semi-derelict pool.
Over the past few years, transformations have included refurbishing changing rooms, new pool lining, and a shop and pump house have been built.
Furniture has been replaced, murals painted and a non-slip surface has been laid around part of the pool.
Solar heating will also be installed to heat the water supply.